Israeli settlers blockaded three Palestinian family homes in the West Bank village of Qusra, cutting power and water and setting up a tent at the doorstep, according to multiple reports and the Israeli military itself.
Story Highlights
- Reports say settlers blocked access to three homes and set up a roadside tent in front yards.
- Palestinian-American homeowner Loui (Loai) Ridi confronted settlers outside his family home.
- The Israeli military called settler actions “illegal, reprehensible and unacceptable,” and tried to disperse them.
- Security video and witness accounts describe walls torn down and utilities cut to the homes.
What Happened On The Ground In Qusra
Reuters reported that Israeli settlers set up an outpost directly in front of Palestinian homes near Qusra and tried to break a gate, while also closing the road and refusing to let people enter or leave. The families said the settlers damaged property, shouted insults, and cut off electricity and water to pressure them to leave. The British Broadcasting Corporation reported that security camera footage showed settlers tearing down a wall and using the stones to block the road, trapping residents inside.
Al Jazeera reported that the Israeli military said it received reports of settlers entering and seizing Palestinian homes and land, calling the activity “illegal, reprehensible and unacceptable,” and saying it disrupted daily life. Soldiers arrived, used tear gas, and removed part of a tent, but later withdrew after failing to fully clear the site, according to Reuters. These actions show official concern that the settler presence was improper and that the blockade had severe effects on residents’ freedom of movement.
The Palestinian-American At The Center Of The Standoff
Al Jazeera and the Public Broadcasting Service identified Loui (also reported as Loai) Ridi, a Palestinian-American, as the owner of one of the affected homes. He said relatives were trapped as settlers erected a tent “literally in front of the house”. PBS aired footage of Ridi describing the siege and confronting settlers over the line at his property. The Associated Press, cited by other outlets, reported that Ridi told a settler to get off his property while the settler claimed the yard belonged to them, reflecting the intensity of the dispute at the gate.
Reporters who visited the scene described a prolonged blockade with recurring efforts by settlers to control the approach to the houses. Reuters wrote that the families were running low on supplies as the standoff continued and that the settlers had earlier cut power and water. British Broadcasting Corporation coverage and other reports echoed the same details about roadblocks, damaged walls, and cut utilities, which together point to a pressure campaign rather than a brief protest near the homes.
Military Response And Why It Matters
Reuters reported that Israeli troops tried to disperse settlers from the makeshift outpost, used tear gas, and removed parts of a tent, but then pulled back after facing pushback, leaving the families still under strain. That sequence underscores that officials viewed the activity as out of bounds and attempted to stop it. Al Jazeera’s report that the military called the conduct “illegal” and “unacceptable” adds formal weight to that view and clarifies that the encroachment lacked authorization.
Qusai Abu Reida, one of those under siege, said the families had decided to remain steadfast and not leave the area no matter how intense the pressure became or even if food, water, and medicine were cut off. He stressed that the house and land represent the fruit of the family’s…
— وصل للأخبار (@waslnew) August 17, 2026
While the reporting identifies Ridi as a homeowner and documents damage to access points and utilities, the available material does not include land deeds or parcel maps. That means the precise boundary lines are not shown in the public record, even as the military’s statements and the footage support the description of a siege at the doorsteps. For readers tracking policy, the incident fits a larger pattern of outposts and roadblocks used to expand control and limit movement in the area, especially around Palestinian homes.
CURRENT: Palestinian families in Qusra, in the occupied West Bank, have been trapped inside their homes amid a confrontation with Israeli settlers. Reuters and AP report that settlers surrounded several homes, blocked access and cut water and electricity, while Israeli forces…
— DFS (@mabezekdfs) August 16, 2026
Sources:
youtube.com, reuters.com, bbc.com, cnn.com, aljazeera.com, pbs.org














