Manhunt Ends After Suspect’s Body Is Pulled From River

A man wanted for the chemical assault that injured a mother, and her two young girls was identified Tuesday by London police as the body they fished out of the Thames.

On Monday afternoon, a passing boat’s crew spotted a lifeless body near the Tower of London, according to the Metropolitan Police. The 35-year-old Abdul Ezedi was identified, according to the detectives. His loved ones have been notified.

The mother, who was 31 years old, was attacked in the Clapham area of south London on January 31 and sprayed with a corrosive substance.  Her 3-year-old daughter was smashed to the floor, while a splash of the chemical hurt her 8-year-old daughter. He tried to drive away from the scene but collided with a stopped vehicle. He then fled on foot.

Ezedi’s actions were captured on surveillance cameras, which led the Met to conclude that he had likely gone into the water.

The last known sighting of the suspect was when he was seen on CCTV leaning over the railings of Chelsea Bridge before vanishing from view.

In the days that followed, the manhunt narrowed in on a stretch of the Thames between the Vauxhall and Chelsea bridges; onlookers watched as a police boat circled the river, lights flashing, and briefly halted next to a small ship before continuing.

On Tuesday, Commander Jon Savell stated they firmly believed they recovered the body of Ezedi due to the characteristic attire he was wearing during the attack and the property found on him. He went on to say that formal identification by fingerprints or visual examination was impossible because of how long the body was submerged.

They intended to speak with the victim as soon as she was well enough, according to Savell, who claimed that her condition had improved. According to a statement sent by friends who are collecting money for the family, the mother is anxious to be reunited with her girls.

According to British media, Ezedi is a refugee from Afghanistan who was granted protection despite a 2018 conviction in Britain for molestation. 

His request for asylum was first denied, but he was eventually allowed to stay in the UK after he claimed to have converted to Christianity.